In the middle of nature, where the flames of the campfire dance and the smell of adventure is in the air, there is nothing better than homemade grain bread from the Dutch oven.
This rustic bread, rich in wholemeal flours and healthy grains, is prepared directly over an open fire - a culinary experience that whets the appetite and invigorates the senses.
The preparation is simple: A dough made from whole wheat flour, whole rye flour, honey and dry yeast is lovingly kneaded and mixed with a mixture of sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and linseed. The Dutch oven becomes the bread cauldron over which the magic happens.
While the bread cooks over an open flame in the Dutch oven, the tempting scent of freshly baked bread unfolds in nature.
The crispy crust and the aromatic taste make the hearts of adventurers beat faster.
A simple pleasure that strengthens the connection to nature and captures the taste of freedom.
Embark on a culinary journey that turns the campfire into a hearth and enjoy the unique experience of homemade grain bread in the Dutch oven - a fire magic for the palate and the senses alike.
Grain bread from the Dutch oven on the fire
- 500 g whole wheat flour
- 200 g wholemeal rye flour
- 1 packet of dry yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 400 ml lukewarm water
- 100 g sunflower seeds
- 100 g pumpkin seeds
- 50 g flax seeds
1. Prepare the dough: Mix whole wheat flour, whole rye flour, salt and dry yeast in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle and add honey. Add lukewarm water and stir until a homogeneous dough forms. Knead on a floured surface until the dough is smooth.
2. Let the dough rise: Cover and let it rise in a warm place for 1.5 to 2 hours until it has doubled in size.
3. Add seeds: Add sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and linseeds to the dough and knead well.
4. Prepare the Dutch oven: Grease with a little oil to prevent sticking.
5. Place the dough in the Dutch oven: Place the dough in the Dutch oven and smooth it out.
6. Prepare the fire: Light an open fire and prepare glowing coals.
7. Baking: Place the Dutch oven in the embers and place glowing coals on the lid. Bake bread for 45-60 minutes, checking regularly.
8. Finish: Remove the bread from the Dutch oven, let it cool on a rack and enjoy.
Enjoy your homemade grain bread from the Dutch oven - a feast for the senses and a homage to the primal joy of cooking over the fire.